Every season is the perfect season for an aromatic, smoky flavored meal. Although barbecuing, grilling, and smoking food is synonymous with a summer afternoon in the backyard, this cannot be further from the truth.
With the development of better technology, you can enjoy a delicious, aromatic, barbecued, smoked meal on a cold winter's day as well. You only have to choose the right smoker, and you're good to enjoy hot smoked meat and vegetables throughout the winter season.
The best type of smoker for cold weather or the winter season is an electric smoker. With electric smokers, you don't have to keep loading it with coal or worry about the gas flaring up since electric smokers start instantly. Some of the best solutions for the best smoking experience in cold weather and the winter season are these five electric smokers:
What's In This Guide?
5 Best Electric Smokers For Cold Weather
5 Best Electric Smokers For Cold Weather
It's cold, but you still need to get great tasting smoked food. What do you do? Get an electric smoker made for the cold! We're here to help you find the perfect smoker for that winter weather.
- Digital panel controls on/off, cooking temperature and time
- Electric Smoker dimensions – 20.47" W x 19.88" L x 33.26" H | Max...
- Patented side wood chip loading system allows you to add wood chips without...
- Thermostat-temperature control for even, consistent smoking
The Masterbuilt 2007117 Digital Electric Smoker is known for its excellent performance in any weather conditions. It comes with a wooden chip loading system that helps you get the smoky flavor into the food evenly.
With a fully insulated body, this electric smoker retains the ideal temperatures even if it changes. It comes with four different chrome-plated racks that are easy to clean and manageable.
You get a proper thermostat control that helps you control the temperature inside the smoker and helps you cook the food precisely. The digital control panel that comes with the smoker makes it easy to monitor the temperature.
Even with all these high-tech features, the Masterbuilt 2007117 Digital Electric Smoker is relatively easy to operate and manage.
- The wooden chip loader is one of the best features because you don't have to keep opening the door.
- The insulated design is a plus, especially for the cold season, and retaining heat is key.
- The one drawback of this digital smoker is that it doesn't have wheels.
- All Stainless Steel Construction
- Smoker is Insulated to reduce heat loss
- NEW 800 watt heating element (replaceable ) NSF Certified for Restaurant...
- In. dim. 15"x 15" x 20" Out. dim. 17-1/4" x21-1/2" x 24" add 2-3/4" to...
The Smokin' it Model #2 Electric smoker is made with stainless steel construction with a double latch door. This makes it perfect for sealing the smoker's heat. It comes with 100 % heavy gauge stainless steel fiberglass insulation that aid in reducing heat loss. The 800-watt smoker comes with four removable shelves that make the smoker easy to clean and maintain, and It has side handles for easy movement.
Like any other electric smoker, you get a 'set and forget' temperature control that makes for easy use. Another notable feature about this smoker is that it has a shallow drip pan that is removable and dishwasher safe.
The Smokin' it Model #2 Electric smoker is indeed a heavy-duty smoker that maintains the target temperature effortlessly. It is also rust-resistant and durable, making it even more competent to face weather changes.
- Generous 12-foot power cord to ensure an easy set-up for the Smokin' It Model #2 Electric Smoker.
- Double latch seal helps prevent any heat or smoke from escaping the box when cooking.
- It comes with castor wheels attached to the smoker, which makes it easy to move around.
- The absence of a side-loading port requires you to open the main door to load the wood chips so that you may lose some heat momentarily.
- Color: Grey
- Size: 15.5"w x 15.5"d x 29"h
- This smoker has a flat top, so juices drip right back onto the food.
- On top of the heating element is a chip tray where you put wood chips for...
The Old Smokey 1250 Watt Electric Vertical Smoker comes with adjustable heat control, making it easy for you to manage the smoker's temperature. With various temperatures you can choose from, it helps you cook food at your preferred temperature. The Old Smokey 1250 Watt Electric Vertical Smoker is very easy to assemble and entirely made with aluminized steel that enhances its durability.
This smoker also comes with two plated steel racks that are easily removable, making it easy to clean. The sealed lid that comes with the Old Smokey 1250 Watt Electric Vertical Smoker helps to keep all the juices inside and let the food absorb all the flavors.
The Old Smokey 1250 Watt Electric Vertical Smoker's effective heating mechanism coupled with 1250 watt heating makes this smoker ideal for cold weather.
- It has foldable handles on the sides that are heat resistant for easy movement and keeps your hands safe.
- It includes a wood chip tray, a drip pan, and grease absorbing granules that make this smoker easy to clean.
- You don't need to add water to this smoker.
- Electric smoker for outdoor cooking of meat, vegetables, and more
- Painted-steel wood-chip box; porcelain-coated steel water pan
- 2 cooking grids; 3 temperature settings; magnetic door-latching system
- 2 side handles for convenient transport; easy assembly; instructions...
The Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker's small size helps this smoker heat up quicker than other smokers, which is a plus point during the winter. This smoker is also easy to move around because of its lightweight, making it very convenient.
The doors on the Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker have magnetic sealing that ensures a leak-free seal. It also comes with handles, making this smoker easy to maneuver. The Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker is also great for temperature regulation since it can quickly return to preset temperature levels when the door is open.
- The built of the Smoke Hollow 30162E Electric Smoker, although small, is sturdy and durable.
- Another great bonus about this smoker is that it is very affordable despite high tech innovations.
- The temperature gauge indicates the temperature of the smoker accurately.
- The only drawback to this smoker is that it is not big enough to smoke large barbeque meats. However, it is the compactness of the smoker that makes it desirable to a lot of enthusiasts.
- High-Quality Material: Arm yourself with a Bradley and open new horizons...
- Dimensions: Bradley Smoker's multi-rack design allows for smoking a variety...
- Large Capacity Oven: Digital smoker is specially designed to accommodate 4...
- Easy To Clean: Our stainless steel interiors are easy to clean and will not...
The Bradley Smoker Digital 4 Rack Electric Smoker is a simple smoker that gives its user total control in choosing the temperature and cooking time at the push of a button. This smoker gives you the pure smoke taste aided by the smoker's insulated stainless steel.
Also, it comes with a digital interface, which is excellent for long smoke sessions for up to 8 hours. It is a double-duty smoker that you can use for both smoking and as an oven.
- It comes with four removable racks supported by the smoker's interiors to ensure that it doesn't tip over when removing.
- It also has a detachable control unit to set the smoker timer.
- The bottom has a drip bowl filled with water that catches the coal after cooking.
- You have to purchase Bradley biscuits
Using an electric smoker during the winter season is ideal since you don't have to heat it for a long duration, unlike other smokers. You can also purchase insulation jackets to keep your regular smokers warmer and retain more heat than usual.
The most important feature to consider when buying a smoker is to consider getting a smoker with fire-resistant insulation. This feature is helpful when smoking food in cold weather because as the cooking temperature drops, the smoker tends to absorb the heat from the inside.
Offering a generous amount of smoking space plus completely hands-off operation, the Traeger Pro 34 inch pellet grill is another great choice for smoking in cold weather. Thanks to the Digital Pro Controller with Advanced Grilling Logic, the Traeger Pro measures the temperature 60 times per second.
How to Smoke in Cold Weather with your Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
We think the Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker is the best electric smoker for most people thanks to its excellent insulation, clever wood chip tray system, and low price. Read on to discover why it is our top pick, and what other electric smokers you should consider.
Traeger Timberline 850. The Traeger Timberline is THE top of the line option if you want full insulation for winter smoking, plus pretty much every other feature you can think of.
The Copperhead vertical smoker from Pit Boss is another top-selling smoker that is easy to operate and control, even in cold weather. “The Copperhead series is a rock star unit for using in cold-weather climates due to its heavy-duty, double-walled construction,” said Jeff Thiessen, President, Pit Boss.
Master the art of smoking with Masterbuilt. With the Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker Insulation Blanket, you can enjoy your favorite smoked foods all winter long. The insulation blanket wraps around your smoker to keep the heat in and maintain consistent temperature, even in freezing weather.
- 1) Different types of smoker performs differently in extreme conditions.
- 2) Create your own smoker insulation.
- 3) Keep the Lid Shut.
- 4) Stock Up on Fuel.
- 5) Position your Smoker in a Sheltered Spot.
- 6) Dealing With the Wind.
- 7) Use a Cold Weather Jacket.
You do not need a specific size like you would with an insulation jacket. All you will need to do is to wrap the blanket around the smoker so that you retain the heat being produced. Wrap it tightly enough to cover around the smoker, making sure to avoid the firebox.
Best for Beginners: Cuisinart 30-Inch Electric Smoker
The Cuisinart 30-inch electric smoker is perfect for casual or first-time smokers because it is convenient and easy to use.
- Best Overall: Kamado Joe Classic Joe II.
- Best Pellet Smoker: Traeger Pro 780.
- Best Electric Smoker: Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker.
- Best Value: Weber 14-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker.
- Best Offset/Reverse Flow: Lang 36-inch Original Patio Smoker.
Soaking wood chips isn't necessary when using an electric smoker, or any other type of smoker. The wood chips are there to provide not only the smoke but different blends of flavoring to accompany the natural flavor of the food, and they do so without the need of being soaked beforehand.
The better electric smokers will have an “easy access” loading port or tray that allows you to add in your wood chips even if the smoker is hot. Not having to wait for your electric smoker to cool down, or grab a pair of heat resistant gloves to ensure you don't get burned, is a huge plus.
What is this? Generally, 1 cup of wood chips will last 4 -5 hours. Continue to monitor your smoke levels without opening the smoker door. Add a handful of wood chips every 4 hours or so until the cooking time is completed.
If you have purchased a new electric smoker, you have made a smart investment. Today, electronic appliances last about five to ten years.
Yes! You can grill in the winter and during the holidays. Spend more time outside this fall and winter! If you haven't ever grilled during the winter, it's the season to put your Traeger grill to the test.
All three of the top lines that Traeger carries, Pro Series, Ironwood Series, and Timberline Series are smokers. They all feature a separate chamber in which the pellets burn. The heat generated in this chamber is then funneled across to the meat. There is an option to have the flame directly underneath the meat.